Thursday, October 20, 2011

Charcoal Spinach and Quotes


With only 5 days left until I board a plane bound for South Africa, and the very last week of my journey, I'm finding it difficult to stay focused on the task at hand. I've come to love this country very much and I know I'll miss everyone I've come to know - but I still found myself looking at google images of the Dallas skyline a couple nights ago. And I must say the pictures of the Trinity River were pretty deceptive. Anyway...like I was saying, it's hard to feel really driven to finish the work here - but I know I'll be disappointed in myself if I give up now. 

Things to do before I leave:
1. Evangelism/Door-to-door in a suburb of Tana
2. Attend two church services on Sunday...for those of you who've never attended Malagasy church...that means all day
3. Go shopping
4. Finish a load of communications work!
5. Find King Julian - ok...this one probably won't happen

Things I will miss about Madagascar:
1. The delicious and giant mangoes
2. The beautiful sunsets
3. The way people stare at me...okay maybe not...
4. The mountains
5. The daily afternoon rain showers
6. The people 
7. The relaxed atmosphere

Things I will not miss about Madagascar:
1. The bad air
2. The bad roads
3. The way people stare at me - for real this time
4. The unpredictable water and electricity 
5. The extremely loud church next door 
6. The complete lack of toilets/toilet paper everywhere you go


All that said, haven't had many crazy adventures since the last time I wrote. Unless you count burning a pot of spinach a crazy adventure (which I don't) - imagine charcoal in spinach form....ya, it was about as pleasant as it sounds! But I've also learned some important skills - like writing key ministry plans, and things of that nature. Well to wrap it up - I thought I'd share with you some of my favorite quotes right now. They kind of represent what's on my mind and sometimes you just can't say it any better yourself after you've already read it! As always, thanks for reading and praying, I love you all!

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but reveal to them their own." 
- Benjamin Disraeli

"If man is really fashioned, more than anything else, in the image of God, then clearly it follows that there is nothing on earth so near to God as a human being. The conclusion is inescapable, that to be in the presence of even the meanest, lowest, most repulsive specimen of humanity in the world is still to be closer to God than when looking up into a starry sky or at a beautiful sunset."
- Mike Mason

"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilization - these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendors." - 
C.S. Lewis (Weight of Glory)

"The Blood does not cleanse excuses, but always cleanses sin, confessed as sin: then revival is just the daily experience of a soul full of Jesus and running over." 
- Norman P. Grubb

No comments:

Post a Comment